MyMayu- Unicorn of Boots for Kids! They even fit AFOS!

MyMayu- Unicorn of Boots for Kids! They even fit AFOS!

One of the things that keeps the life of a family living with someone who requires AFOs, or custom orthotics in general, interesting is trying to find footwear that actually fit the orthotics. Forget looks, colours, brands, prices- if it fits, you pretty much just buy it!

Shall we also begin the discussion about the fact that this dreaded footwear search is also required to accommodate for the different seasons that, we, here in YEG, Alberta we are blessed with? Previously, when raining outside or during those awkward spring melt/fall wetness periods when rubber boots are essential, I’ve had to either pass on fun activities for the kids, Breanna’s feet just got super soaked, or she would wear her winter boots (if she even had any) through it all. This past spring, I found the solution to all of our problems- MyMayu boots.

MyMayu’s mission is to, “create innovative outdoor gear made from durable materials that results in happy familes.” Have they ever done that right! Not only are they perfect for any child, but also for any orthotic-sporting child who requires that magic shoes to be functional for all seasons. Everyone NEEDS to know about MyMayu boots. They’re truly the unicorn of boots. Want to know why? Let me tell you!

1-  They can be worn during all 4 seasons. We use B’s MyMayu Wanderer boots mainly as rubber boots, however, they could be also used as a winter/snow boot using the MyMayu Helios Liner.

Spring Melt rocks with MyMayu Boots! Would you have any idea that there are AFOs hidden in there too?!

When we get that freak snowfall late April/early May, MyMayu boots come out to save the day! This photo and the previous one were taken days apart!

2- There are 3 different styles to choose from, each with a variety of colours.

• Muddy Munchkins– Perfect for nature walks and adventures.
  • Explorer– Outdoor boot that could replace a rubber or snow boot that is used for all kinds of terrain. For a narrower foot (compared to Wandered). Added wetness protection compared to Muddy Munchkins.
  • Wanderer– Outdoor boot that could also replace a rubber or snow boot. Used for a variety of terrains. Basically a wider version of the Explorer boot.
  • For comparison of Muddy Munchkins vs. Explorer boot read here.
  • For comparison of Explorer vs. Wanderer boot read here.

3- All styles are flexible yet durable to handle all kinds of terrain and play. Their tethers also allow for many adjustment possibilities and flexibility to further customize the fit of MyMayu boots. Whether playing in the rain, mud, snow, enjoying walking trails, or even meeting princesses and riding carnival rides, MyMayu boots are the way to go!

MyMayu Boots are perfect attire for meeting princesses! Photo opportunity with Positively Princess’d Rapunzel at Dreamnight at the Zoo.

4- They fold up to be super compact! How awesome are these to store and travel with when they fold up as seen below?!

For size comparison.

5- They’re a Canadian company, based out of British Columbia. You know how much I appreciate and value voting with my dollars by purchasing a product from a local or Canadian company. The boots are also made in North America.

6- They’re made from recyclable materials because that carbon footprint is important.

7- Last but not least, and the most important for us, is the ease of use and comfort that MyMayu Boots have to offer a child with AFO braces. This needs to be shouted from the rooftops! We chose the Wanderer style of MyMayu boots for the main reason that they’re a wider fit to accommodate for Breanna’s AFOs. I always size up for her to fit the length and width of the AFOs. Breanna is currently an 8/9 in a shoe, however, with her AFOs, she’s an 11. I went with the 11/12 to be safe. I’d rather them be slightly big than too small too quick. They fit perfect while definitely allowing for room to grow. I’m not sure that with the AFOs, the Helios Liner would fit, however, I’m excited to try so that she could wear them during the winter as well!

All MyMayu styles will accommodate for AFOs and other variations of orthotics up until about size 7/8 and then the Wanderer style is best as it is a wider fit. For extra information on MyMayu Boot styles for AFOs, KAFOs, and SMOs, you can read MyMayu’s blog post here.

Whether I’m slipping the braces in the boots while on or off of Breanna’s feet, they go in super smoothly.

**The only down side to wearing AFOs, with many different types of footwear, shocks, shoes, dresses, etc. is that there are certain parts of the braces that cause wear and tear. If pants, for example, are worn over top of AFOs, often the AFOs will rub holes through the pants due to the hardware or velcro being in that particular spot on the AFO. It’s just one of those things that comes with the territory of wearing AFOs. Due to the material of the upper shaft of MyMayu boots, this same wear and tear is a possibility. I would recommend placing some sort of moleskin material or wrap on those areas of the braces notorious for causing tearing to prevent damage to the shafts of your MyMayu boots.

MyMayu boots have been a lifesaver for Breanna in the footwear department for the main reasons that they accommodate for her AFOs and allow her to now experience certain parts of childhood that she wasn’t able to comfortably or warmly before. Not only are they amazing for children with orthotics, but for any child from infancy and up (to youth size 3). As Suzanne with MyMayu says it best- “See you outside soon!”

~ Mercedes

Share:

28 Comments

1. Cyndi
    August 19, 2017 / 7:06 am

Such awesome versatile boots. Would be so great for my little explorer. I have a nephew with an AFO I will direct my sister to this post!!

• liveitallin
      August 19, 2017 / 7:08 am

Awesome! I wish we had discovered these sooner! Great for all little explorers too! Thanks for sharing with your sister. 🙂

2. Jessica
    August 19, 2017 / 7:16 am

We’re new to the AFO world and finding shoes that fit is such a pain! These look great for all the mischief…err adventures…my boys would get into 😀

• liveitallin
      August 19, 2017 / 9:30 am

I wish I had found these sooner when new to he AFO World. Let me know if I can help with any other AFO issues. Mischievous adventures are sometimes the best kind. 😉

3. Kate Lister
    August 19, 2017 / 7:46 am

These look like amazing boots for my toddler’s neighbourhood and river valley adventures!

• liveitallin
      August 19, 2017 / 9:29 am

Ooooh river valley adventures! Love it!

4. Kate
    August 19, 2017 / 7:51 am

These would be awesome for mucking around our acreage–this past year showed me how we all need boots like these, but especially the kids!!

• liveitallin
      August 19, 2017 / 9:28 am

Yessss! Totally!

5. Mackenzie Reisner
    August 19, 2017 / 8:06 am

My son Owen loves to be outdoors during all seasons. He tends to be extremely picky about certain things, like if his clothes get wet his fun is ruined. He has had rain boots in the past and they were one of his favorite pairs of shoes but the stiff rubber was difficult because they got very cold and stiff if worn in the snow. I think the versatility of these boots would eliminate a lot of the issues Owen has with choosing one favorite pair of shoes for all year round, as well as providing good protection from all weather types in order to prevent sensory meltdowns.

• liveitallin
      August 19, 2017 / 9:28 am

Thanks for sharing this! Regular rubber boots definitely get hard and cold in the snow.

6. Eva
    August 19, 2017 / 8:54 am

These look fantastic! Love that they offer got support too!

7. Wendy
    August 19, 2017 / 8:58 am

So cool! My outdoor-loving toddler might keep water and mud out of the top of her boot with these!

• liveitallin
      August 19, 2017 / 9:27 am

Hahaha totally the down side to regular rubber boots. They fill up fast. These should help!

8. Jason Olinyk
    August 19, 2017 / 9:00 am

These boots would be amazing exploring the trails down in Terwillegar Park.

• liveitallin
      August 19, 2017 / 9:26 am

Great for trails!

9. Anna
    August 19, 2017 / 10:06 am

These look awesome! I love the versatility, the fact that they are made from recyclable materials and that they go so high up on the leg for maximum coverage. Thanks for sharing!!

10. Liz
    August 19, 2017 / 2:46 pm

I love how tall they are!! Perfect for any type of wandering and adventuring (as my son sits in a puddle in his sandals today 🙄) Thanks for the giveaway (commented on Instagram as @backyardfarm.mama)

• liveitallin
      August 20, 2017 / 12:28 pm

Hahaha I guess sandals are easy to clean and dry fast?…maybe? 😉

11. Jessica
    August 19, 2017 / 3:40 pm

These boots look amazing! Very versatile! My 3 year old twins would love these!!

12. Jessica Rutledge
    August 19, 2017 / 3:41 pm

• liveitallin
      August 20, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Super versatile! I agree!

13. Cheryl Reiter
    August 20, 2017 / 12:47 pm

These look so amazing! My two and a half year old has the goal to jump in EVERY puddle, so these would be perfect for that as right now he always ends up with soaked socks and pants with his current rain boots. I also love how compact they fold up. Thanks for sharing them with us!

• liveitallin
      August 20, 2017 / 1:30 pm

You’re welcome! They are so easy to store because they fold up like that!

14. Cassie
    August 21, 2017 / 7:46 am

My kiddo loves finding puddles to jump in, especially at the farm, so these would be perfect for all the muddy puddle jumping!

15. Jodi
    August 21, 2017 / 8:21 am

Wish we knew about this last year! They would be perfect for my AFO wearing kiddo to go puddle jumping in!

16. Tasha Kennedy
    August 21, 2017 / 8:57 am

These would be great for the enthusiastic puddle jumpers, like my 3 year old who always manages to fill his rubber boots up with water.

17. Haley
    August 21, 2017 / 8:59 am

Wow, these are soo cool! My adventurous 3 years could explore any puddle she finds in a pair of these. I love how tall they are and how they can be tightened with tethers at the top and ankle. Thanks for introducing me to the Unicorn of all boots!

18. Callie
    August 21, 2017 / 6:51 pm

Love the sound of these boos! We recently moved to an acreage and would make use of them every single day I bet!